"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Thursday, January 10, 2013

My head hurts.

So it's been a rather long time, huh? Sorry about that, it just keeps slipping my mind. Inspiration does strike every now and again, but it's always at the most inconvenient of times. Right when I'm about to fall asleep at 2 in the morning, or in the middle of a lecture when I haven't got my lovely laptop-chan with me. The problem is that by the time I get around to writing anything, the inspiration and will to write have generally dissipated. Thankfully I have a very bossy friend who keeps nagging at me to start blogging again (yes, that's you, mister FussyFang xD). No matter that I haven't really got much to say, just this talking to myself - or rather, a hypothetical audience - works quite soothing sometimes.

Anyway, something's happened to make me resuscitate this dead concept. I fainted in the practical lab monday morning, and I had the brilliant luck to fall from a stool I was sitting on with my head at about standing level (not a very logical description, perhaps, but bear with me please) and end up with the back of my head on the floor. Obviously I'm quite unsure what happened since I wasn't actually conscious for it, but it's probably comparable to standing upright and falling straight backwards, cracking your skull onto the ground. Except, you know, my skull didn't actually crack. Thank god for that.
But even without that, the fainting itself was pretty scary. I've never fainted before, not ever. At first I thought I was going to barf, but then I saw this sort of haze coming into my vision from the edges. It closed in on itself, and the next thing I knew I was on the ground, completely disoriented, feeling like I'd just woken up from a normal dream and wondering what the hell I was doing on the laboratory floor with my head feeling like someone'd stabbed a knife into it. Luckily both the assistents present knew first aid and they helped me get up slowly and aided me in getting my body back under control. I was really shaky and pale, though, and I'd scared the living daylights out of my lab group. Not to mention myself. I found the Huygens building (where us scientific people are generally located) actually has rooms with beds in them, for people who need to rest.
Because of the unfortunate area of impact, there was a pretty good chance of a concussion. I didn't feel the signs, but everybody kept cautioning me to warn somebody as soon as I started feeling sick or light-headed, or got a huge headache. I haven't felt well since it happened, but the doctor ruled out anything but a very mild concussion, which is not dangerous as long as I keep my rest. As such, I opted not to go to uni today, rather I've slept in and taken everything slowly. I have only the occasional flash of headache, but the bump on my head still hurts like a bitch. I'm actually morbidly curious what color my skin has right now, as it feels like a sort of plum-purplish. But perhaps that's exaggerated.

As it happens, tomorrow is going to be a day where the only class I have is Molecular Structure, which I'm pretty sure I can afford to miss. As such, I'm heading on home in a while. It'll be good to be around my family for a while. I never hate living on my own, but it sucks most when I feel awful. There's just something sad about being sick far away from home.

Okay, this has become unexpectedly long. I was going to say some more stuff about totally unrelated topics but I guess I'll leave it as is.

Cheers!

~Levyathan

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I heard from your bro when I was at school (the old one) today to hang with Paul. Didn't hear some of these details though. Sucks, but hey, your head still seems to be working at least, so that's cool!
    And now you know to lie down yourself if you ever see a haze. ;D

    WELCOME BACK, (not really-)FAITHFUL BLOGONAUT. WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR CONTINUOUS EFFORTS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's always nice to see you, and to know that Fang's moaning and prodding and ranting actually worked on someone. It really does suck about the fall though. I had a concussion once, it wasn't all that fun. Take a few days for yourself, and try to have some fun.

    ReplyDelete