"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Obstacle averted

So, as some of you might remember me mentioning... wait, I'm not actually sure if I mentioned it. Oh well, anyway, I had to do my Individual Oral Exam today. For the IB. It sucked. (The clipped tone the author uses here signifes a sort of annoyance or irritation, further emphasized by the use of very short sentences). Yeah. That shit.

It was worse, because there was no way to prepare for it. You go to pick up your literary fragment not knowing which one it is, get twenty minutes to prepare - analyze and annotate the fragment, as well as deciding on a structure for an eight-minute talk on the details of the fragment - and then you go sit your exam and have to actually present the information you gathered like a bitching ninja spy in an orderly, well-structured form, in which you have to mention the most striking and important things about the fragment with regards to tone, mood, stylistic devices, rhythm and rhyme (when analyzing a poem, as I was), yadda yadda yadda. Now, anyone who's read more than two of my posts should know that if it's anything my rambling lacks most of all, it's structure.

But, luckily, after my quite structurally-shaky and sort of in-depth eight minutes of talking about the poem, there were five minutes of discussion, and I find that with the right nudges I can be quite perceptive about the underlying meaning of these things. I'm not perfectly sure as to the exact grade I'll be getting for it, but I can confidently say I'd be surprised if it were insufficient. :'D.

So, with that out of the way, it becomes time to figure out exactly how I'm going to deal with having all of these idiots in my house saturday night. ;'D. I also still need to figure out where in the blazes I'm going to get enough cake. I might just cheap out and make a cheesecake. After all, I think they're super tasty and it's my party, right?


Talk to you guys again maybe tomorrow.

(Also, I love the conversations in the comments, they brought/bring a huge smile to my face <3.)


~Levyathan

11 comments:

  1. Is this two posts in one day by you? CHEESECAKE. I DEMAND CHEESECAKE. CHEESECAKE FOR ALL. I hope your grade isn't too bad, but when it comes to things like that, as long as you can back up what you say, then you can say it's about anything. Take my poem from a few weeks back where I wouldn't say what it was about, no one got it right, and no one ever will, but if they can interpret it well enough to them and tell me what makes them think that, then I'll say "that's it I guess." If Fang is going to your house then your biggest problem is getting him out without letting him see your underwear drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha we have injokes already. We're cool.

      Delete
    2. Ahahaha so you're going for the "Sure Why Not" approach. x'D http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AscendedFanon?from=Main.SureWhyNot. Not really, probably, I've just been absorbed by the tropes.

      Delete
    3. We're awesome is what we are. That's not really the approach I'll go for, I won't change what it means, but if that's what they want it to mean to them then they can think like that. I don't mind people thinking what they want ^^

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I keep maybe-regretting not studying for the IB! D: How does that work in the Netherlands?
    Cheesecake. Cheesecake is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, for me, the IB course is integrated into my schooling because I do a bilingual program. Basically, instead of 'normal' English lessons, we get to do the IB program, which means Interactive Oral Activities (Fang, quit snickering x'D), Individual Oral Exams, but also Papers, being comparative commentaries and essays and Written Tasks. It's pretty rough, but kind of awesome at the same time. Especially because I'll get an English A2 diploma at the end of it all. :'D.

      Delete
    2. I envy you that diploma. ;w; I go to an English-speaking school, so most of my classes are in English, but I take a normal Swedish program (kinda like your ... profiles or whatever Fang called them) and am freaking out about possible university requirements. My school is offering IB to students next year, so I'm kinda jealous.

      Yes, everyone always says it's rough and therefore not worth it, but maybe I ... like ... it rough? (There is no way to say that with a straight face.) Ah well, no diplomas for now. Good luck on your interactive thingies! 8D

      Delete
    3. You're right, that is hard to say or read with a straight face, but I'm pretty sure I know what you mean. I get tired of the hassle sometimes but I'm also glad to have this opportunity. In fact, the bilingual students from the year below me are actually doing a new and improved and even harder IB course. I kind of envy them their opportunity to prove themselves even more worthy, in a way. :'D.

      Also, all the interactive thingies are blessedly over and done with. I really suck at presenting, it's one of the hardest things I've done. Repeatedly. T^T. Thankfully they all went okay. 8D.

      Delete
  3. I'm totally cool with being an idiot in your house.
    But, cheesecake, really? APPLE-CRUMBLE-PIE, or whatever the fuck it's called in English, is pretty easy to come by, SO MIGHT AS WELL GET ALL OF THEM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you remember, I don't really like APPLE-CRUMBLE-PIE, or whatever the fuck it's called in English, So that's not the first thing I thought of. Also, be happy you even get cake, you grumpy person! x'D. En kwarktaart is fucking lekker, houd je mond. :'DD. But fine, I'll see what I can do about the apple pie. Going grocery shopping for the party tonight.

      Delete