"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Monday, April 2, 2012

B: Beleefdheid

Which, for everyone's information, means 'Politeness'.

Because - excuse me for sounding like an old lady - I feel like it's something today's youth could really use an extra helping of.

It's actually really bad how many teenagers think they're all that and feel like they don't have to respect their elders. Most notably, you see this at schools. Now, while I may or may not be somewhat of a stickler for the rules anyway, I can get really annoyed when people in my classes basically lack any form of respect for the teachers. Don't get me wrong, I don't think you should respect a teacher who is either simply a really BAD teacher or who doesn't respect you. I do however think that you should be at least cordial to figures of authority, especially before they've had the chance to prove whether they're going to earn it.
It gives a really bad starting point if you just sort of disrespect teachers before they've had so much as the chance to open their mouths.
But really, even if you've had them for a while, that's no reason for you to start talking to them as if they are your dog or your idiot little brother. I can at times be really embarrassed for the classes I'm in.

Even more poignant, we're watching this movie in French class about a school in France (shocker!), where the students talk to the teachers as if they're talking amongst themselves. They're constantly demanding outrageous things and because it's a whole class full of these troublemakers, the teacher is basically powerless against them. It's really disrespectful and it almost hurts to watch it, it irritates me to no end.


Okay, looking back at this thing, this sounds kind of pretentious and goody-two-shoes. It's not that I'm always super-respectful when talking to adults, but I don't let it get too far out of hand. Don't get me wrong - I scoff at my father too when I'm saying something a bit too colloquially degrading and he's all like "I didn't go to school with you! Respect your elders!", but I do think there is a line that shouldn't in good conscience be crossed.

Not sure if this made any sense... Be sure to tell me if you think differently, and especially why you think this is the case.


Peace out!

~Levyathan

7 comments:

  1. It made a weird amount of sense. Part of that third paragraph, the big one, did you post that somewhere before? Looks awfully familiar...

    But you kind of went from "politeness" to "respect towards elders", heehee. Really, the youth of today (and actually lots of humans) is mostly scumbags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I actually noticed that too.. I was just thinking about that, as a matter of fact. Oh well.
      And I'm not sure, I don't remember posting it anywhere but you might've heard me ranting about it or something? I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. I agree. I believe basic civility is key for a functioning society. However, it goes both ways. I have encountered elderly people who are so prejudiced against the young that they will never ask for something politely, but rather yell at or scold a kid or teen - because they are under twenty-five, and obviously evil.

    I'm kind of a goody-two-shoes too, but if I think one of my teachers is a successful figure of authority who is able to provide me with knowledge if I ask kindly, why WOULDN'T I be respectful? However, at my last school (which was full of problem children) this one teacher completely blew her top at me for eating a piece of chocolate. She didn't even know my name and could have told me off or asked me not to do it again, but nope - she went straight to ULTIMATE RAGE MODE. That was really rude and I felt she didn't respect ME as a person - and I have a difficult time respecting somebody like that.

    Uh, conclusion of essay: Let's all just... be nice and polite? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely.

      And you're right, major prejudice the other way around is at least as bad. I think the world could be so much nicer if everyone understood the merits of approaching people nicely.

      Alas.

      Nice and polite sounds awesome :D.

      Delete
  3. i hear ya--so true--it does seem we are less and less kind towards each other doesn't it---interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well when I was in school I was one of the few people who did respect the teachers. Well I respected them the most. You know where that got me really? A lot of trouble. The teachers gave me a much worse time than they gave anyone else because they knew I wouldn't give them trouble. There were some nice teachers too though. I think that people should respect their elders, and it is something sorely lacking, but trust shouldn't just be given, and it's a two way street. Elders can't just demand respect from the youth, the youth deserve some respect. They also need to see WHY they should respect their elders. My dad is a fantastic man, and that is why I respect him. My eldest sisters are not so good, and I don't respect them much, even if they are my elders. My fingers hurt.

    ReplyDelete