"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U: Uurwerk

Literally translated to 'hour work', but it means about the same as clockwork. I love clockwork in all its steampunk-y glory. If you frequent places like deviantart, you've probably come across awesome steampunk timepieces and necklaces and whatnot. I adore clockwork. It gives off a kind of old-time shadiness that mystifies as well as attracts.

It also usually serves to remind me of the ingenuity of man. Someone, at some point in time, figured out that the best way to get a mechanical signal across a space was to fill said space with interlocking cogs and gears. What's most intriguing about that is that this very same deceptively simple method still has its proper place in the contemporary world. We still make mechanical clocks. We may not use them exclusively anymore, but they're still there. Maybe that has something to do with the strange, overly romanticized view I have on such rudimentary mechanisms. It's like a tangible piece of the past.

On the other hand, maybe not.


~Levyathan

6 comments:

  1. No I think you're quite right. There are some utterly beautiful time pieces out there, and one day I will own one of them. I saw an amazing pocket watch on eBay with the mechanisms visible and it just screamed at me "YOU WILL BUY ME!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandparents have a wind-up clock in their house. I can remember how my grandfather used to call me when he winded it so I could watch. It was really fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a friend that works on antique clocks and watches--fascinating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steampunk is an awesome style. I wouldn't say it's my favourite (though comes close), but it's awesome nonetheless.
    Also, I keep saying this, but I NEED TO GET A POCKET WATCH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS DO WE ALL
      but I can't find any that don't have tractors or eagles or some shit on them

      Delete
  5. Steampunk is sweet! And yup, people on DA really make some gorgeous stuff.

    ReplyDelete