"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V: Vuurwerk

Because I like fireworks and they're pretty. I used to always light fireworks on new year's eve, ever since my parents allowed me. Before that I just got these kiddies' packages with confetti guns and such. 

Lately, though (the last two years, give or take), I don't really see the need to light fireworks anymore. Anyway, I'm talking about the small fry variety here, rather than the really pretty and colorful exploding rockets and such - they're way too expensive. 
It's just, I don't see the need to throw 200 firecrackers in a single evening (why do they even package them in such crazy quantities, anyway? >,>), nor can I find much enjoyment in standing around in the cold all night long. 

I still love the moment of midnight, though, when the entire sky lights up in color and it's hard to talk because of all the bangs. It just carries this irrevocable connotation of the start of a new year, end of the old one, now GO FORTH AND HUG AND KISS YOUR FAMILY and think about all the things you would ideally change about yourself or your surroundings (which you're never going to actually do anyway) and BE GLAD YOU LIVE TO SEE THIS HAPPY MOMENT. Or something equally dramatic. 

This thing here just did an about-face from fireworks to NYE. Oh well. It's the most obvious association, anyway. 
(I love that expression. About-face. Heh. :'D).


~Levyathan

4 comments:

  1. Face is one of my favourite words so about-face is something I find amusing and fun. I love fireworks displays, especially the kind you get on New Years, they look beautiful, but like you I'm not that fond of smaller displays. The really nice fireworks are expensive :( I still get some enjoyment out of smaller ones because I like all the pretty colours, and I watch them with kids so it's hard to not get excited, but it's not the same as when I was a kid myself.

    Having said that, FIREWORKS R AWSUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful to meet someone from the Netherlands! I'm a Swedish immigrant to the US, have lived here since 1974. During this challenge I'm teaching Swedish, one word a day. Looks like you had the same idea! Nice. Good luck with the rest of the challenge, and we hope to see you again next year. I love the background of your blog, it really goes with the name.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Years resolutions are for chumps. Real men start 'em a few months early so they can 'em finished by the first day of the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never lit a firework myself, I believe. They are indeed pretty, but they scare dogs. :(

    ReplyDelete