"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Friday, April 20, 2012

Q: Quetzalcoatl

I'm breaking two rules here. First, I'd decided to blog about Dutch words starting with the letters of the alphabet. Quetzalcoatl is not a Dutch word. Thing is, there are no Dutch words starting with 'q' that aren't derived from either Latin or French. Most of those words are exactly the same as their English counterparts, and none of them are particularly exciting to write about.
Second, I was supposed to post this yesterday, but I simply forgot. Therefore you get two consecutive posts from me today, isn't it EXCITING? x'D.

Anyway, since all this horrible stuff happened, I decided I wanted to write about something really cool.


This is my definition of really cool.

It is, unsurprisingly, Quetzalcoatl. In fact, until ten minutes ago, I had no idea what Quetzalcoatl was, but the name has been at the back of my mind for a while now. I wonder how that works, since I didn't even have an 'oh yeah that's what it was' moment when I found out the truth. But I digress.

Wikipedia tells me that Quetzalcoatl is a Mesoamerican god, "related to the gods of the wind, of Venus, of the dawn, of merchants and of arts, crafts and knowledge", according to the Aztecs. They were not the only ones to worship him, though. Many of the Mesoamerican peoples did.

It's name comes from the Nahuatl language and more or less means "feathered serpent". Hence the look. As I said before, IT'S REALLY COOL.

There you go, some more tidbits of random knowledge for you. :'D.


~Levyathan.

5 comments:

  1. Serpents are cool. Wings are decent. That makes for a decently cool winged serpent, right?

    Also BIG SHAME ON YOU for forgetting to blog yesterday. I know, you feel like shit over it, but someone's got to press your nose in the shit so you won't do it again.
    ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...Thanks for that. No really, I appreciate it. >,>.

      Also, serpents are awesome, wings are awesome ---> Doubly awesome. :'D.

      And I'm defs coming tomorrow. The Mats has confirmed my ability to stay overnight. :'DD. Should I try to bring Mulan for us to watch? I'll have to convince my sister, though. ^^.

      Delete
    2. Don't mention it. Did it because I love you and want the best for you. Glad you appreciate my helpful nudging.

      Also more like TODAY by now. But that's cool. Bring your battle armour, you've got a dude to turn into a hamsteak.

      Delete
  2. Quetzalcoatl is also a summon in Final Fantasy VIII which is how I know it, but Quetzalcoatl is not what I was expecting. In FF it's some kind of thunder-bird, not a serpent. The real one is far more awesome of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DUDE. You're a genius.

      I actually know the name from Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, where it's a weird, plush, thunder-bird summon thingie.

      Mystery solved! :'DDD.

      Delete