"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Friday, April 20, 2012

R: Ridderlijkheid

Chivalry.

Because it's at least a little dead. I don't, however, think it's completely gone. There's still a lot of guys out there who treat women like they're precious little dolls who should not be opening doors for themselves or having to follow after men.

Importantly, I believe mostly women are to blame for killing chivalry. The whole feminist mindset of not wanting to be patronized by the menfolk has driven men to stop doing things like holding doors. It's only logical, really.

As you might have picked up from the overall tone, I personally scoff when people try to be chivalrous. The whole 'women first' thing is kind of useless, in my opinion. Not so much because I'm a convinced feminist - which I'm pretty sure I'm not - but because I think it's bull for guys to have to do things for me because I'm a girl. It's not like I'm too frail to open my own doors, nor like I'm too pure or whatever to be expected to do it.

But yeah, I know a couple of guys who think chivalry is still important in this day and age. It can be kind of wearying, but it's kind of great to know they have such respect for girls. :').


~ Levyathan

5 comments:

  1. Chivalry in itself is great. Holding doors for people is great. Being kind and noble and whatever is also... great. Only doing these things because somebody is of a certain gender is not great, more like dumb. Everyone should be ready to step up and be the knight for anybody. And girls can be knights too! 8D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's too true. I hold the door if there's somebody close behind me, but I never associated that with chivalry... Maybe because in my head, chivalry is like the 'oh you're a girl I have to help you do things' kind of thing. My concept of chivalry might be a little faulty x'D.

      Delete
  2. It's nice to see a girl who says that women killed chivalry. It means I can say that and still be counted as chivalrous. I try to be nice as well though, to men as well as women, and ungendered peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh but you ARE too frail to- /punch'd
    But according to you and Sophia, that makes me dumb and useless. WELL WHATEVER I'LL KEEP ON BEING THE GENTLEMAN ANYWAY
    And it's not like I'm not a real good guy towards other people so yeah I guess I'm safe here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think we can excuse men from lacking the manners they seem to have lost these days---you have a good point--but i still expect them to let me go first etc.--very thought provoking subject

    ReplyDelete