"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D: De

Or: "On the subject of articles".
(Articles? Really? Seems a bit strange of a word to indicate 'the' or 'a(n)'. My translator tells me it is so, however).

One of the major problems most foreign people encounter when learning the Dutch language has to do with our articles. You see, we have 'een', which is the same as the English 'a(n)'. Nothing much of an issue there. It starts getting problematic when we get to 'the'. You see, in Dutch, we have two different words for this. It can be indicated by either the word 'de' or 'het'. There is no clear distinction I'm aware of that indicates what to use when, and even natives sometimes have to guess at which to use when we come across words that are utterly unfamiliar to us. On the whole, though, either Dutch people have some sort of born affinity for recognizing which to use when or it's just been hammered into our subconcious from a young age. In short, one of the surefire ways to recognize a foreigner is to pay attention to what articles they use for what words. Apart from the often quite obvious accent, of course.

With a lot of other grammatical distinctions in our language (not for the articles - thank god) that are for whatever reason hazy to most natives - Really guys? They're perfectly clear to me! - it seems that the preferred way to get rid of the problems is to simply renounce the rules concerning them. I am strongly against this. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm one of those people who actually talks with grammatical correctness on a daily basis, but I just don't like the idea of our language being subject to 'dumbing down' simply because our natives can't be bothered to remember whether to use 'dan' or 'als'. It would basically be an incentive to stop caring about what you're saying - not the best solution in any situation.


~Levyathan.

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the preservation of language. I would say I can't believe people are that lazy, but I've seen it here too. They say that English is one of the hardest languages to learn because of some of the things we have, but that sounds like it would confuse me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serious? I personally haven't really found English to be extremely hard to learn. At all. But maybe I'm just a little weird in the head ;D.

      Also the things they do to English are atrocious too, though generally the stuff you see on YouTube and such is not written by natives. At least one assumes. Otherwise I really fear for the future. x'DD.

      Delete
  2. yes language does continue to change--great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. English is the only language I've come across with logical articles. Swedish has "en" and "ett" for a/an, and there's no system to which words use which, whatsoever. My mom's lived here for twenty-something years and still hasn't gotten it down completely. However, native Swedes (like the Dutch) usually just know which one to use.

    And German, holy crap. You start out thinking "Three articles? Challenge accepted!" but when you realize that depending on sentence structure these three reproduce into nine or ten different articles you just ... give up. But besides the weirdness of language, I agree with you - we shouldn't go around simplifying it just because people are being dumb. o__o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German articles (is that even what it's called anyway? Never knew :D) are hella easy once you get 'em down. Or just paste the table of them on your forehead or something so you never forget.

      Delete
    2. Oh don't even start with the German. x'D. Dropped that as soon as I could. Too many irons, y'know? x'D. But no, I don't get that at all.

      @Fang. I think in that case it might be of greater benefit to paste it on someone elses forehead, just saying. ;).

      Delete
  4. very interesting and all about such a small word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the fuck is with you saying Dutch grammar is easy? No it is not, has never been, and never will stop not being!
    Dutch is the hardestest of languages. Which makes it both a blessing and a curse that we're native speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also today's post looks like it starts with the smileyface D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted. In fact, I noticed that right from the get-go but I didn't want to mess up the continuity. Although I'm considering starting the J post with John: Be Vriska, just for the hellz. x'D./

      Delete
  7. Interesting, it is cool to learn about different languages. While language evolves, I agree with you about not dumbing it down.

    Claire's Writing Log
    Twitter: @ClaireGoverts

    ReplyDelete