"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y: Yakult

"the ~ (m) Milk drink for a healthy intestinal flora" (very roughly translated, my brain isn't really working).

WHY is this in the dictionary? It's a brand name. You don't find 'pepsi' or 'fanta' in the dictionary.

Yakult is apparently Japanese. It's a milk beverage containing probiotics, that's supposed to help improve your intestinal workings so that you don't feel bloated.


I still wonder, though. The fact that the brand name is representing the drink in my Dutch dictionary tells me that there is not really anything else like it. Probably, then, the drink was immediately heavily patented when it was first produced in 1935. On the other hand, I don't know how this works for the rest of the world, but in the Netherlands the patent rights are only applicable for 20 years. So I guess that still doesn't explain it?
I asked my parents and grandparents, who are all conveniently downstairs right now, but the best they came up with is that somebody may have gotten some money for that little trick. (Putting it in the dictionary, that is :'D).Also apparently there ARE non-'official' products like it. The plot thickens...

Any of you got an idea? :').


~Levyathan

4 comments:

  1. No because Pepsi is a shitty brand.
    Also perhaps it's sort of a latin term for things? I don't know, but wouldn't be surprised if it's a word with foreign origins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to learn something new. I'm just A to Z-ing it. Hope you have a great weekend. Nice to meet you. Stop on by and hi sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why it's in there, I didn't even know it was O_o If it was named after a specific part, like if the "good bacteria" as they call it was called yakult then it would be reasonable. Though according to my spellcheck, Yakult isn't a word, so I guess it's not in my dictionary. I do believe there are non-Yakult named products that do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a conspiracy. It has to be.

    ReplyDelete