"Pulvis et umbra sumus," said Will, not looking at her as he spoke. "I believe we are dust and shadows."

Thursday, April 12, 2012

K: Kleinzerigheid

My dictionary tells me this is accurately translated into over-sensitiveness. I'm not quite sure if the implications included with that word are quite what I was going for, but it'll have to do.

Rather than emotional pain and sensitivity, I want to discuss something that happens with physical pain. You see, some people are actually more sensitive to small hurts than to big ones. My sister, when she was younger, used to raise hell if she got a scrape, but if she got more seriously hurt she'd be all calm about it.

It's also observed when a papercut, which is generally not a very large cut, hurts like a bitch, while you can cut yourself while doing something (like working in the garden or whatever) and not notice at all until you see it bleeding.
That's also quite an interesting phenomenon, incidentally. For some reason, injuries tend to hurt more when they look bad. It's almost as if the visual stimulus adds to the experience of pain. Maybe that's actually a true thing, I wouldn't know. I wonder though, if that were the case, it would probably have a purpose that might aid in our survival... but I can't think of a logical reason for it.

What about you guys? Are you over-sensitive?


~Levyathan

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if this is quite what you mean, but I can get close to (or actually burst into) tears when I cut myself on paper or walk into something, whereas when I fractured my knee I just... screamed. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that is sort of what I mean, yes. :'D.

      Delete
  2. The words you're looking for Levy are "pain threshold". As in how much pain one can take. I have a low pain threshold. I cried like a...something, when I fell down and broke my arm, but when I nearly broke my toe, I didn't really feel anything. Though to be fair I did that by kicking a wall so I think I was just so angry it dulled the pain. Either way, generally, I seem to have a low pain threshold. I'm squishy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if it is even the smallest of head injuries, i tend to freak out and when it's lots of blood----and if it is a big injury, although i may appear to be somewhat calmer---i am freaking out a lot more inside---very interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  4. "small hurts" haha why does that sound so ridiculous

    Yeah I know what you mean. Also shit does indeed not hurt 'til you notice, or at least the lesser pains do. The visual stimuli make it look worse than it really is. ie this is how a leg that got amputated can still hurt.

    ReplyDelete